[Written on March 19th, 2018]
Over the past few weeks, I have been attending St. Catherine’s Community School for my field placement. At the school, I, along with my partner, Rachel Paterson, have been helping with two classrooms – The grade 1 classroom taught by Sarah Ross, and the grade 1 and 2 classroom taught by Angela La. Usually, the two of us split up and we each help one of the classrooms with whatever they require help with, whether it’s doing one on one with a particular student, helping a variety of students with testing, or just roaming the classroom and making sure all the students are staying on topic. Last week, however, – on March 13th – Rachel and I had to take on a slightly more taxing task.
We had asked if we could lead the classes in doing some sort of craft a couple weeks prior, and with St. Patrick’s Day coming up, it seemed like a perfect opportunity to get some experience leading a class. Sarah and Angela helped us find a craft for the students to do, and Rachel and I planned out how we were going to teach it to all the kids and how we were going to organize it. Planning it out turned out to be the easiest part, as the craft was a simple one. We planned to break the class into two groups, and each group would be doing a different part of the craft, and then the groups would switch and do the other part of the craft. Then at the end, we planned to all come together in one big group and finish up a small part of the craft to finish the craft.
On the day we did the craft, we came into the first class that we were doing it in, – the grad 1 classroom – and Sarah started the class with doing attendance and getting everyone calmed down from recess. Once that was done, we went up to the front of the class and began explaining the craft. For the most part, Rachel led the explanation of the craft. She was able to explain it slowly in a way that all the kids were easily able to understand. When she was done explaining her part, I took over and began explaining my part. It was sort of easy to explain my part, since I had brought up an extra copy of the craft to the front and showed them exactly how to do it. After we were finished explaining, we broke the kids up into two groups and we got to work.
All in all, everything went well. While we couldn’t finish the entire craft, we were able to get all the major parts finished, and all that was left was a small part at the very end. After we were finished in the grade 1 classroom, we went into the grade 1 and 2 classroom and did the craft all over again. After doing it once before, we were able to lead the class a lot more efficiently, as we were both a lot more confident about leading a class than we had been before. Again, we didn’t have enough time to finish everything in the second class, but we were able to get most of it done. Leading a class was new and scary for the both of us, but with a little bit of hard work and some teamwork between the two of us, it all went smoothly and, in the end, turned out to be a rather fun experience.